When looking back over my blog this weekend, I realized I started writing this post last year but never finished! Such is life with a little guy running around!
Last fall we had a whole bunch of pumpkin on our hands. We grew two in our garden, we bought one at a pumpkin patch, and we received one in our CSA. That is a ton of pumpkin! Mrs. Esquire and I shared the pumpkin cooking duties; she worked inside and I worked on the Big Green Egg.
After we gutted one of the pumpkins, we separated the seeds and I grilled them with olive oil in my Mexican redware. Quite delicious!
The seeds were merely a warm-up. For the main event, Mrs. Esquire asked me to grill the Big Max pumpkin we grew in our garden. The idea behind grilling the pumpkin was just to soften it up so we could peel it and then cook it more if necessary, to make soup or pie. So I went ahead and tossed the pumpkin on the Big Green Egg.
You might be thinking to yourself – there’s no way that worked! Well, you are kind of right. The lid didn’t close all the way. I decided to grill it for a while anyway. Eventually, the pumpkin softened up a little bit, squished into itself, and the lid fell shut. I thought all was good.
I was wrong.
I pulled the pumpkin awhile later. It grilled up just fine and we peeled away the skin. The next time I fired up my BGE, however, I was greeted with a little surprise – the probe on my BGE thermometer had broken off just inside the grill. I guess it was pressed against the side of the pumpkin as the lid was sitting slightly open, and the weight of the lid just snapped it off. What a bummer!
I was out $30 for a new thermometer but I learned a valuable lesson. Going forward, I will always pay attention to the thermometer probe when I grill something as big as this pumpkin.