Behold: Brisket!

Last weekend I stumbled upon barbeque.  My world has changed.

We had a busy weekend: Saturday we visited Tomales Bay for oysters, Sunday we served as extras in a video for Mrs. Esquire’s company.  The schedule  made it difficult for me to carve out some egg time.

Undeterred by the lack of time in the weekend, I turned the car into the parking lot of Marin Sun Farms on the way home from Tomales Bay Saturday night.  This meat shop (100% grass fed and pasture raised) has a wonderful selection of local fare.  I started chatting up the woman behind the counter and soon learned she was a fellow egg-er.  I hemmed and hawed for awhile and eventually started hovering over a nice little brisket.  I’d never done brisket before.  It was a small piece, only about 2 or 3 pounds.  I asked the woman how long she would cook it.  Three or four hours was her answer.  That sounded fine to me.  I bought it.

After we returned home Saturday night I started researching brisket methods.  I soon learned that 2-3 hours was an underestimation for proper brisket.  See point number two of my ethos: never cook meat for two hours when cooking it four would be better.  I figured I’d be lucky to cook this thing properly in six hours.  It would probably take at least eight.

So, Sunday rolls around.  We attend Mrs. Esquire’s video shoot.  The shoot takes longer than expected.  As the afternoon wears on I start to worry about my brisket.  Mrs. Esquire tells me it will be OK and promises to stay awake with me if necessary.  We finally finish filming about 3:30 pm.

I knew I was up against it at this point.  I rushed home and got the Big Green Egg started.  I used a rub I had on hand.  Once the Egg was stable at 250, I put the brisket on in the V-Rack.  My goal was to hit an internal temperature of 185 or 190.

By 8 pm, I had a hunch dinner would be after 10.  By 10 pm, I knew we were looking at midnight.  We snacked throughout the afternoon, napped, watched a movie, and prepared ourselves for brisket.

Finally, at midnight, I pulled the meat.  I let it sit for about 20 minutes prior to carving it.  Here it is, ready to eat!

I was really happy with the smoke ring.  There was a strange fatty area running through the meat – I don’t know enough about brisket yet to know if that’s normal.  All in all, however, it was a delicious midnight snack.  Worth the wait!  I’ve got the itch now.  What else can I smoke for 8 hours on my egg?!?!?


Tags: , ,

About bbqesquire

I'm a Scandinavian Plaintiff's lawyer from Minnesota living in California. Despite that background, I've become a weekend warrior on my Big Green Egg. I've started this blog to share my successes, failures, and experiments with anyone who cares to read about them.

Trackbacks / Pingbacks

  1. Pulled Pork « BBQ, Esquire - 09/08/2011

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: